Thursday, December 29, 2011

error: PAM: authentication error for root from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Hi,

I recently installed freebsd 8.2 on my lap, its very good experience using this OS. I had simple issue after installation. While doing ssh to FreeBSD installed on vmware I came up with above error.

Which clearly states that issue is with authentication , which we need to configure in ssh service.

We need to add below three options in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

PermitRootLogin yes 
PasswordAuthentication yes 
AllowUsers root


Thats it, we are done , now we can ssh to FreeBSD installed in vmware, one common mistake I did ,was adding these above lines in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

So there are 2 files in /etc/ssh/ directory i.e /etc/ssh/ssh_config & /etc/ssh/sshd_config


We are suppose to configure above 3 options in sshd_config  then only it will work like charm!

Regards,
Girish

No comments:

Post a Comment